What is the ‘questionable thing’? I’ve always said if you have to ask, you ought NOT to do ‘it’, whatever ‘it’ is. Somehow, it’s not that easy for some of my Christian brothers and sisters. Much like parents telling you to be a good example to your little brothers and sisters, we have to be a better example…a better Christian to those that are weak or struggling:
“But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.” 1Corinthians 8:9
At church last night, my husband touched on the first 3 points in this series. Truly, this is a great teaching for those that need and should reference their Bible and notes often in order to continue in their walk with the Lord. As Christians, we are not equal in our personal walk with anyone else. We are all individuals and set with a separate path and will from God, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations”, [Jeremiah 1:5].
What ARE the questionable things? Everyone has wondered if a particular thing is sin such as drinking alcohol or types of television shows or movies. We are bombarded by the outside world constantly with messages that tell us that EVERYTHING is good and okay. What is okay? What isn’t? What does God say?
1. Are you willing to do what is right when you KNOW the will of God? Simply, most Christians know the will of God regarding sin…DON’T SIN! Seems easy enough, but I think that we look for permission from other Christians rather than asking God. “Is she wearing a short skirt in church? COOL….then I can too!” or “He watches R rated movies so I can too!” As simplistic as that sounds, or even childlike, still every Christian struggles because they see OTHER Christians sinning or living in a worldly way. Consider these scripture references:
- Romans 12:2; “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” Retrain your mind to not want the questionable thing that is besetting you. Don’t be your own worst enemy, be the Christian you want others to see you as.
- John 7:17; “If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority.” Do we know His will? Have you asked Him?
- James 4:17; “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.” Most often we KNOW the answer, we want confirmation. Go to the Word, God will let you know, I promise.
2. Does this questionable thing agree with what the scripture says? While I see things very black and white and somewhat analytical, many Christians do not and they seek real answers in real time. The Word of God is for today, tomorrow and all time! Consider these scripture references:
- 2Peter 1:19-20; “v19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; v20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation.” In other words, God speaks to us and gives us revelation such as understanding certain verses in the way He meant them. ‘There is nothing new under the sun’ [Ecc 1:9], there is no NEW revelation, rather what God gives you may be new to you, it cannot go against scripture EVER or it is in direct violation of His Word. He is the God that changes NOT [Mal 3:6].
- Deuteronomy 29:29; “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.” What God wants us to know HE will reveal. While we will know everything as we step foot into Heaven, but while we are still here we have to trust God and have Faith in HIM, not ourselves or others.
- Romans 10:17; “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” FAITH. Simple childlike FAITH. God will never tell you to smoke. God will never tell you to wear revealing clothing. God will never steer you into false doctrine. Ever.
- 2Timothy 3:16; “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” ALL scripture is given; not some of it or part of it…ALL OF IT. Scripture is for our DAILY walk, not just on Sundays.
3. Have you PRAYED about the questionable thing? Isn’t that a novel idea. We wonder why our lives are surrounded by grief, fear and sin? If you think your heels are too high, then they probably are. If you think a movie with sex and violence might be wrong to watch, then it probably is. Consider these scripture references:
- Mark 11:24; “Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.” When you asked Jesus into your life, you prayed…then you believed AND received! Pray about everything and you’ll have no questions about the questionable things.
- Philippians 4:6; “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.” EVERYTHING. If we pray for and about everything, our lives will change! When I pray I HAVE PEACE. When I forget to pray, I am not in the will of God. God gave us Jesus and the Holy Spirit and real tools to use for our everyday walk: Prayer and the Bible….all free to use all the time. No excuses!
- James 4:23; “v2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. v3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.” Ahhhhh there it is! WHAT are you asking for? Permission to DO the questionable thing? Or are you asking for discernment?
- 1Thessalonians 5:17; “Pray without ceasing.” Don’t. Stop. Praying. Ever.
- Matthew 7:7-8; “v7 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. v8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” Ask, seek and knock…God will reveal to you what you pray about.
A new creature in Christ has MANY questions and needs answers about the BIG things and the little things. But one thing I ask you to keep in mind is understanding the difference in ‘belief’ and ‘truth’. I can believe all day long that the sky is green but the truth is that it is blue. The questionable things are what we believe, not necessarily what is truth. God has never made a way for anyone to sin, not even a little bit. Contrary to what the world ‘believes’, the Christian is expected to know the truth of His Holy Word, not half-truths or outright lies. He has created us to be in fellowship with Him, not the world or He would have never given His Son Jesus as our propitiation for what we deserved.
Temptation is an evil thing; the questionable thing may just be what Satan uses to tempt you to do something to come back into his will and stray from God. Satan uses the little things to distract us while he works to keep us from a loving relationship with Jesus Christ.
In other words, Trust God. His is that small, still voice.